Monday, 4 April 2016

Oatmeal Stout
 By Brett Tyrell

Oatmeal Stout is a beer I love to brew, and coincidentally, love to drink. I love the roastiness along with the complimentary "rich" mouthfeel given by the oats. It is a beer that feels "bigger" than it actually is, so it's easy to have a few pints, and wake up shiny the next day.

Brewing an Oatmeal Stout is quite a simple brew-day, not requiring and complex processes. There is no special equipment or steps, with the exception of how you toast your oats prior to adding them to the recipe.

The rolled oats themselves can be from any source. You could buy them from your Brew store, buy organic, fair-trade, certified oats from your local hippie health store. Me, I just buy them from Aldi. Just make sure to buy rolled oats, not "Quick Oat". Quick Oats have already been partly gelatinised in the factory, so lose a lot of the rich, silky mouthfeel.


I toast the oats in the oven prior to adding them to my malt bill. Spread them out in a thin layer on a baking tray in a ~190 deg C oven, and toast until they're a dark brown, just short of starting to burn. This usually takes about 20 minutes. Make sure to give them a turn every 5 minutes or so, so they toast evenly. The whole house will think you're baking Anzac cookies, as they smell great.

After toasting, let the oats cool, prior to adding them to the rest of your grain bill. I have my own mill, so I like to feed the oats through the mill as I'm crushing the rest of my grains. For those who don't mill their own, you can just add them to the mash.

I use a very simple single-infusion mash at 66 deg C, for 60 minutes. I use a teaspoon of Calcium Chloride in the mash as I have very soft water, and find it helps assist conversion.

A single hop addition of East Kent Goldings at 60 minutes left to boil is all it needs. You can just as easily use any UK hop, as there is very little hop character desired in the beer. I avoid US or other "fragrant" hops, as even after a full hour boil, some of the piney-ness still comes through.


I've tried a number of different types of yeast, and I keep coming back to the Wyeast #1187 "Ringwood Ale". I find it reliable yeast that gives a good amount of character, without being over the top. I ferment at 20 deg C, which gives a nice balance of esters.

Keg/bottle it, give it a little time to mature (2 months is ideal), and enjoy

1 comment:

Mia Gomez said...

Brisbane Limousines is a privately-run company situated in South Western Brisbane. From our area we can without much of a stretch administration Brisbane, limousine service Brisbane, Ipswich and the Lockyer Valley.
We put stock in giving a quality administration at exceptionally moderate costs. Our bundles are straightforward and are all accessible on our site. We need your business and we are glad to go to your area at no extra charge.
We cherish what we do and might want to help you make your occasion uncommon.

Post a Comment